Image Map

Work in Progress

“In the best travel, disconnection is a necessity. Concentrate on where you are; do no back-home business; take no assignments; remain incommunicado; be scarce. It is a good thing that people don’t know where you are or how to find you. Keep in mind the country you are in. That’s the theory.”
–Paul Theroux

A human who loves the world, finds beauty in the unknown, and can't keep her feet on the ground. I like finding unique (and cheap) ways of making my way around the globe. Interacting with people while living, learning, and loving the culture I'm surrounded by.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Watch me whip, now watch me Namhae

When I first decided I was going to move to Korea, I was leaning hard towards a public school job. I was researching the different provinces I could work for and easily narrowed my search down to the south. The first application I sent would have landed me a job smack dab in the middle of this beautiful little island. There wasn't much about it on the Internet, other than it being a hidden treasure of Korea. Decades behind the overdeveloped, high rise cities scattered throughout the rest of he country. I had to decided between working in a place this this, where I would likely be the only foreigner, and working in a bigger city where I would have more of a community. Things worked out in favor of the latter. Regardless, there was a good month of my life that I spent imagining what it would be like living there. I was in love with the idea of it. 


I was so happy when I was finally able to visit the place that I had spent so much time thinking about. A weekend filled with activities and camping and the beach, surround by my favorite people. It has been one of my favorite events of this year thus far. From being featured on a big screen while eating carne aside (and pretending to eat carne asada), riding around on lawn chair peddle boats, beach bonfires, temples, kayaks, banana boats, and makin new friends from all over Korea - the memories are endless. Instead of taking account of all the details, I'll just leave these pictures here. Hopefully they will do this island justice. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment