Image Map

Work in Progress

“In the best travel, disconnection is a necessity. Concentrate on where you are; do no back-home business; take no assignments; remain incommunicado; be scarce. It is a good thing that people don’t know where you are or how to find you. Keep in mind the country you are in. That’s the theory.”
–Paul Theroux

A human who loves the world, finds beauty in the unknown, and can't keep her feet on the ground. I like finding unique (and cheap) ways of making my way around the globe. Interacting with people while living, learning, and loving the culture I'm surrounded by.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Nightwalkers

Eating bread in the streetz
 Karyn and I went on a little mini adventure around our neighborhood after work one evening. We experienced a part of our immediate living quarters that we didn't know existed and are happy to have discovered. I can already imagine the drunken nights out staggering through these streets ahead of us.

We started off walking down the market street. Most of the stalls were closed and the few that were open had small groups of people crowded around eat and chatting and enjoying their evening, trying to sell what they had left of their goods. Fruits and veggies and things boiling in huge pots that I had never seen before. Teenage boys sitting at my favorite Tteokbokkistall eating their dinner and chatting with the friendly ajummas. 

I wanted bread, naturally, so we made a stop at the market to visit my friend. I need to figure out this man's name. I am always greeted with a big ole' two handed high five and hugs. I always leave with baked goods that I don't need, but a smile on my face nonetheless and a little bit more practice with Korean - something I desperately need.

 We decided to venture off and ended up walking down a street filled with bright lights, loads of chicken and beer establishments (chimek), norebang for days (karaoke), people drinking outside convenient stores, and traffic. So much traffic. There were cute little Korean men walking up the street holding hands and the younger crowd walking with their faces in their phones. The ability they have to not get hit by a car or scooter while walking down theses wild streets continues to amaze me,.



I've walked down this street several times during the day and was surprised to see how different it is at night. Everyone is always so bust during the day working, and usually working HARD. At night is when most places around here come alive. Kids don't get out of school until 10pm sometimes, adults work shifts as long as 12 hours. Work hard and play harder has never been more applicable than it is in this country. 

If you wanna see more pictures I've added some of my favorites to a photography page for your viewing pleasure, enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment