Image Map

Work in Progress

“In the best travel, disconnection is a necessity. Concentrate on where you are; do no back-home business; take no assignments; remain incommunicado; be scarce. It is a good thing that people don’t know where you are or how to find you. Keep in mind the country you are in. That’s the theory.”
–Paul Theroux

A human who loves the world, finds beauty in the unknown, and can't keep her feet on the ground. I like finding unique (and cheap) ways of making my way around the globe. Interacting with people while living, learning, and loving the culture I'm surrounded by.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Worst part of my day

...is eating my last bite of food. Any food. Mostly gimbap though. I always want more. More more more. Idk what's wrong with me, but the food here is too good. I just ate a whole roll of gimbap and I already want to devour another one. 



Although, my live baby octopus meal didn't have the same effect of my monstrous appetite. It wasn't horrible. I chewed the slithery little pieces enough before they ever got the chance to latch on to my throat and suffocate me, no worries. But really it just tasted like the sauce I lathered in. Luckily our tentalicious meal came with a counterpart. Some random fish the market guy picked out, cooked with onions and mushrooms and a yummy sauce. I'll say my first visit to the live fish market went about as good as it could have :)

Bread, yukgwa, and beer - is there anything better?

Bread houses. Man, those are hard to pass up. There is even one that goes by the name of "Eat Bread". They turned my life motto into a bakery, what more could I ask for?

One of the markets I go to (frequently) has a bakery attached to it, and there are ALWAYS discount - and I am reminded of this fact everytime thanks to the cutie who mans the stall. He is always way to happy to see me and eager to use the little amount of English he knows. Which includes the aforementioned "discount" along with other words; hello, very good, pretty, goodbye, and I love you. The last one is my personal favorite. He always cons me into getting bread. Always. How an I deny a little Korean man confessing his love to me, even if it's because that's all he knows how to say in English?
 

One of my favorite parts about life is how much exploring there is to do. With so many new things in my life, it's hard to get bored. I visited Ulsan Grand Park before work one afternoon and rode around the same area of the massive park for an hour on my bike rental trying to find the butterfly conservatory. It was a massive fail, but wandering around was a blast. I ran into a few cool parts of the park and am looking forward to exploring it more.



















  



And friends. So many new people, from all around the world. Foreign and Korean. I am so excited to get to know these people and to create and share memories with them. It's been so easy to get into the swing of things here. I've felt welcomed from day one. 

Makkoli and banchan, YUM

Sandcastles at Ilsan Beach, Ulsan



No comments:

Post a Comment