Image Map

Work in Progress

“In the best travel, disconnection is a necessity. Concentrate on where you are; do no back-home business; take no assignments; remain incommunicado; be scarce. It is a good thing that people don’t know where you are or how to find you. Keep in mind the country you are in. That’s the theory.”
–Paul Theroux

A human who loves the world, finds beauty in the unknown, and can't keep her feet on the ground. I like finding unique (and cheap) ways of making my way around the globe. Interacting with people while living, learning, and loving the culture I'm surrounded by.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

up up and away




I'm sitting on the plane, playing Tetris and listening to music. And then. It happened. I realized I am currently flying over somewhere I've never been before. Uncharted territory. My heart started racing, a feeling that I am all too familiar with. The prospect of things unknown. Places undiscovered. The plane understands, and shakes with my excitement. I think they call it turbulence. 

Who knew Asia was so big? I didn't. Cause I had never been here before. I could have easily looked at a map, but still it wouldn't have made sense like it does now. There are certain things that just can't be conceptualized until you are the one experiencing it for yourself.

In Europe I could shoot between countries with ease. A 45 minute plane ride here. Couple hours on a train there. Getting from Korea to Thailand is taking north of 6 hours. And there I was, going and being all clueless. Definitely thought a couple hours, at the most. 

That's one of my favorite things. Having my knowledge about this world challenged and reworked. 

It's interesting, the difference between arriving and departing. The feelings, especially. On the way, you're anxious and  filled with excitement and wonder. When you're leaving you foster feelings of  satisfaction, a high that can only come after living in a really awesome dream-like world that new places often seem like. These great feelings can be followed by a bit of sadness, longing, nostalgia. The adventure is over. Things that you have been looking forward to, that have been at the forefront of your mind for what seems like EVER, are now in the past.

I am one of the lucky ones. The less than desirable feelings never last too long. I always have something to look forward too. Not sure why, but it constantly seems like my adventure is never ending.  Coming home to Korea helps. My daily life always seems to have even a tad bit of mystery too it.

lucky lucky ducky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment