Image Map

Work in Progress

“In the best travel, disconnection is a necessity. Concentrate on where you are; do no back-home business; take no assignments; remain incommunicado; be scarce. It is a good thing that people don’t know where you are or how to find you. Keep in mind the country you are in. That’s the theory.”
–Paul Theroux

A human who loves the world, finds beauty in the unknown, and can't keep her feet on the ground. I like finding unique (and cheap) ways of making my way around the globe. Interacting with people while living, learning, and loving the culture I'm surrounded by.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Camp Lee


I can't explain how good for the soul it is to not have cell service - to be cut off from the world for a few days. It helps bring you back to yourself, your purpose in life, and what's important.

What's even better for my soul is being in the mountains. As long as I'm entwined with nature, it doesn't matter what I'm doing - I'm happy.

I've been working for a catering company while in limbo between graduating and finding a real job. I've been working speratically with them for 5 years and the family who owns the company are some of the greatest people I know, which makes the job even better. Not to mention we work events that usually feature live music and GREAT people watching. Have you ever interacted with mass amounts of people who LOVE monster trucks. Those are fun people haha.




Anyways I've been up at Mount Charleston working a camp, feeding loads of rambunctious children. We have a full kitchen and a bunk area attached to it and I am in heaven. Not to mention the camp is HAUNTED. Which for some reason just excited the crap outta me, until I woke up in the middle of the night with sleep paralysis hearing voices. I'm almost certain I started sitting up by means other than my own, because I couldn't for the life of me get my brain and body to work together. 

It's about 40 degrees cooler up here than it is down in the Vegas valley. Thank The Universe. I am not ready for the Vegas heat, but I am however ready for monsoon season in Korea :) 

We have a lot of downtime in-between cooking meals, which usually involves napping or sitting outside with the boys and watching the kids do their thing outside. The first morning we were sitting outside our dining hall and my boss points out a herd of wild horses. I was off that porch quicker than you could imagine. Running through woods, jumping over things. I was worried about scaring then away but it became apparent that these horses were quite used to being around people. The kids were on a tree-rope course, screaming and making plenty of noise. About 50 meters away is a small pond, and the horses (and two ponies) walked right up to the water to drink. They were so calm, checking the kids out. I sat and watched them as long as I could, and then followed them a little ways back. Wildlife makes me so happy, I definitely don't get enough of it.



After we serve our last meal, the boys make a fire and get themselves a "baba". Vodka for Mikey and beer for John and I. Puts us right to sleep, only after a few hours of man conversation and watching the wood burn. I couldn't even begin to explain some of the conversations we had - but lesbian midget sex was a recurring theme. And currently I am being told a story of a opossum crawling out of a dead cow, from his rear end. Men are lovely, aren't they?



There aren't a lot of great things about leaving the mountains, especially when I'm driving back down to Las Vegas. One thing that I love is watching the scenery change from massive pines to fields of Joshua trees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment